It was in the late seventies, shortly after McDonald’s had introduced the Egg McMuffin, that the food giant realized the potential of a quick, drive-thru breakfast. Soon, the company had developed several breakfast selections, including the Big Breakfast with eggs, hash browns, and sausage.
Eventually one out of every four breakfasts eaten on the go would be served at McDonald’s – an impressive statistic indeed. The newest kid on the McBreakfast block is this morning meal in a tortilla, first offered on the menu in 1991.
McDonald’s Breakfast Burrito Ingredients
- 4 ounces breakfast sausage
- 1 tablespoon minced white onion
- 1/2 tablespoon minced mild green chilies (canned)
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 4 8-inch flour tortillas
- 4 slices American cheese
On the side salsa
McDonald’s Breakfast Burrito Directions
1. Preheat a skillet over medium heat. Crumble the sausage into the pan, then add the onion. Sauté the sausage and onion for 3 to 4 minutes or until the sausage is browned.
2. Add the mild green chilies and continue to sauté for 1 minute.
3. Pour the beaten eggs into the pan and scramble the eggs with the sausage and vegetables. Add a dash of salt and pepper.
4. Heat up the tortillas by steaming them in the microwave in moist paper towels or a tortilla steamer for 20 to 30 seconds.
5. Break each slice of cheese in half and position two halves end-to-end in the middle of each tortilla.
6. To make the burrito, spoon 1/4 of the egg filling onto the cheese in a tortilla. Fold one side of the tortilla over the filling, then fold up about two inches of one end. Fold over the other side of the tortilla to complete the burrito (one end should remain open). Serve hot with salsa on the side, if desired.
Makes 4 burritos.
Close, but we used slivered onions and to roll, fold one end that is perpendicular to cheese slice, roll over side closest to you, tucking edge to the other side of filling, then finish the roll over