Any Sonic Drive-In regular knows the three or four unique fountain drink favorites on the menu. There’s the Limeade, the Diet Limeade, and, of course, the Cherry Limeade.
But that bright blue stuff called Ocean Water has become a recent favorite for anyone who digs the taste of coconut – it’s like a pina colda soda. The server simply squirts a bit of blue coconut syrup into some cold Sprite. The big secret to duplicating this one at home is re-creating that syrup, so that’s the first step. After that’s done, you make the drink as they do at the restaurant in less time than it takes to say, “Does my blue tongue clash with what I’m wearing?”
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon imitation coconut extract
- 2 drops blue food coloring
- 2 12-ounce cans cold Sprite
1. Combine the water and the sugar in a small bowl. Microwave for 30-45 seconds, then stir to dissolve all of the sugar. Allow this syrup to cool.
2. Add coconut extract and food coloring to the cooled syrup. Stir well.
3. Combine the syrup with two 12-ounce cans of cold Sprite. Divide and pour over ice. Add straws and serve.
Makes two 12-ounce servings.