I love banana bread. I sure hope everyone else does as well since I think this is an impossible and sad food to miss out on.
Banana Bread Ingredients
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup mashed very ripe banana
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/4 cup sifted flour
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
- Cream shortening and sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in banana and vanilla.
- Sift dry ingredients together and add to banana mixture.
- Mix well.
- Pour into greased loaf pan or 9x9x2-inch pan.
- Bake at 350F for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Note: 1/2 cup chopped nuts can be added if desired.
Grandma’s Banana Cake
2/3 cup shortening
2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
1 2/3 cups sugar
1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups mashed fully ripe bananas
2/3 cups buttermilk (divided)
2/3 cup chopped walnuts (opt.)
- Place shortening in mixing bowl. Sift in dry ingredients. Add bananas and 1/3 cup of the buttermilk.
- Mix until moistened; beat 2 minutes at medium. And the other 1/3 cup of buttermilk and the eggs.
- Beat 2 more minutes.
- Fold in chopped walnuts.
- Bake in 2 greased and lightly floured 9-inch cake pans at 350F for about 35 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes in pans, remove from pans and cool completely